Deep in the Alps of Austria lies an unrivaled beauty, both natural and cultural. From traditional customs to breathtaking scenery, Austria’s Alpine allure is one that should be explored. Join us as we take an in-depth look at what this stunning region of the world has to offer.
1. Captivating History and Culture
Austria’s history and culture is steeped in imperial grandeur and its modern-day spirit is much more vibrantly infused with its cosmopolitan past. Drawing from its strong Roman influence, Austria has managed to preserve the legacy of its rich architectural heritage and its old cobblestoned streets intact. Embellished palaces, castles, and Cathedrals dot the landscape of Austria, making the country an idyllic destination for a cultural getaway.
Austria guarantees plenty of adventure in the high alpine region that spreads from Carinthia up to the Salzkammergut Mountains. With two thirds of its area covered by mountains and forests, this land of stunning contrasts presents the perfect backdrop for outdoor activities such as skiing and snowboarding, trekking and mountain biking, as well as taking in the majestic views of the Austrian Alps.
- Discover the Old Town of Salzburg
- See the mirrored lake of Lake Hallstatt
- Hike Aplsental Valley and reach the summit of Schafburg
- Ride the cable car up to Dachstein Glacier and explore the ice palace
- Visit the impenetrable Hohenwerfen Castle
Austria caters to an array of travelers and its stunning landscapes, castles, palaces and rich cultural expanse are overflowing with experiences that thrill and enchant. Whether its indulging in the majestic beauty of the Austrian Alps or exploring its quaint cities, Austria offers its visitors something truly captivating and unforgettable.
2. Enchanting Landscapes and Outdoor Activities
Austria has some of the most enchanting landscapes in the Alps, with plenty of activities to keep you entertained and excited in the fresh air. From skiing and snowboarding to hiking and camping, here are a few of the amazing opportunities available in Austria:
- Water sports – Whether you’re looking for a leisurely canoe or kayak trip, or want to master a wakeboard, Austria has plenty of places to practice different water sports and activities.
- Skiing & Snowboarding - There are numerous ski resorts throughout Austria, such as the stunning Kitzbühel Alps, as well as amazing off-piste skiing opportunities. Wherever you choose to ski, you’ll find unbeatable alpine scenery.
- Hiking & Trekking - With plenty of trails and terrain, Austria is a wonderful destination to explore on two feet. Take in a lush, green valley with its thundering cascades, or climb a mountain and take in a spectacular panoramic view.
- Camping – With its rugged Alpine landscape and opportunities for self-discovery, camping in Austria provides a wonderful way to get close to nature. Whether you want to stay in one of the Traditional Mountain Huts or set up your own tent, the vast wilderness awaits.
- Rock Climbing – Scale some of the highest peaks in Austria with a rock climbing adventure. Many organizations and companies offer guided tours and provide the necessary equipment, so you can experience this unique outdoor activity in the safety of a professional.
From rivers and meadows to towering mountains, Austria has plenty of options for outdoor enthusiasts. Whatever your experience level or preferred activity, there’s something for you here in this breathtaking country.
3. Enjoying Local Cuisine and Drink
Whether you love to hike, ski, or simple take in the breath-taking mountain views, Austria’s Alps are a truly stunning part of the country’s landscape. Along with the great outdoors, you’ll also be able to sample some amazing local cuisine and drinks. Here are a few of our favorites!
- Apfelstrudel: This traditional Austrian dessert is made of a sweet pastry dough wrapped around a delicious applesauce filling. It’s often served warm with a dollop of cool, vanilla ice cream.
- Almdudler: This fizzy soft drink is a favorite among Austrians. Its unique flavor— a combination of elderflower extract and mint— make it a truly refreshing beverage.
- Kaiserschmarren: This traditional sweet omelet consists of raisins, shredded apple, incredible amounts of sugar, and a generous helping of whip cream. It’s a rich and delightful dessert.
- Tafelspitz: Essentially beef boiled in broth, tafelspitz can be served alongside cabbage, potatoes, turnips, creamed horseradish, and a few other accompaniments. It’s a delicious, savory dish that is perfect for a cold winter day.
- Kletzennudeln: Kletzennudeln consists of noodles filled with quark and dried yellow plums, which are then rolled in breadcrumbs and baked. This unique dessert is a favorite among locals.
Be sure to sample some of these amazing dishes and drinks during your visit to Austria’s Alps!
4. Experiencing Unique Austrian Accommodations
Austria is a beautiful country, and its alpine backdrop provides a stunning landscape for visitors. Exploring the amazing sights around the country can be a memorable experience, and you can stay in unique accommodations to get the full experience of Austria. Here are some of our top picks:
- Luxury Hotels: Treat yourself to a bit of luxury while you explore the alps! Many of Austria’s luxury hotels offer stunning views, luxurious amenities, and the perfect atmosphere to soak up the beauty of the surrounding landscapes.
- Austrian Bed and Breakfasts: Enjoy a quaint and cozy stay in a traditional bed and breakfast in Austria. These accommodations often offer comfortable spaces with quaint furnishings and nice views.
- Rustic Huts: For a truly special experience, stay in a rustic Alpine hut. Spend the night in the mountains, and wake up to the incredible beauty of Austria’s alpine backdrop!
- Camping: Setting up camp under the stars in the Austrian countryside can be a magical experience. Pack a tent, some provisions, and prepare for a unique and memorable camping adventure!
No matter which type of accommodation you choose, Austria’s alpine charm will surely add something special to your trip!
5. Rejuvenating Local Spas and Wellness Centers
Austria has become known for its luxurious wellness centers and spas set in the beautiful Alpine landscape. With restorative and rejuvenating treatments, they make for an ideal excursion for any traveler. Whether it’s a single day of relaxation or a complete spa weekend getaway, Austria has something for everyone.
Here are five top local spas and wellness centers in Austria for the perfect alpine experience:
- Parktherme Bad Radkersburg: Located on the banks of the Mur River, this spa is a perfect spot to luxuriate in a variety of sauna, steam, and relaxation treatments. The center also offers a lovely piece of nature to explore, with lush gardens, outdoor pools, and a picturesque terrace café.
- Vital Oase & Spa Weitental: Located in the scenic countryside of Weitental Valley, this spa provides a tranquil oasis with its unique blend of thermal treatments, stress-reducing sound wave therapy, and a wide range of yoga classes.
- Therme Erding: This state-of-the-art spa, located near the Munich Airport, offers a myriad of hot springs, saunas, and pools to create the perfect place for total relaxation. Its new Aqua-Flow Wind Zone is sure to stimulate and invigorate even the most weary traveler.
- Tauern Spa Kaprun: Situated in the Austrian Alps, this spa offers stunning views of the nearby National Park as well as invigorating treatments including its signature Medi- and Crystal-Therapy Facials. There is also an activity pool, sauna garden, and infinity pool to enjoy.
- Hotel Schloss Weikersdorf Spa: Located in the heart of Carinthia, this wellness center offers guests a variety of natural spa treatments. Its heated outdoor pool with breath-taking mountain views and luxurious indoor pool with massage jets make for a very special experience.
If your travel plans include a stay in Austria, these local spas and wellness centers are not to be missed. No matter what kind of rejuvenating journey you seek, you’re sure to find it in Austria’s stunning alpine landscape.6. Delighting in Music and Festivals
1. Austria’s alpine allure is certainly something to be experienced firsthand. Year round, the country’s stunning alpine landscapes beckon mountain climbers, hikers, and outdoor enthusiasts alike. In summer, hues of emerald and sapphire fill the mountain valleys as parks and trails come alive with nature.
2. The music scene in Austria is as alive and vibrant as the incomparable alpine scenery. The annual city-wide Salzburg Music Festival is one of the highlights for music lovers, along with the annual New Year’s Concert from Vienna. The range of genres and styles is certain to make music-lovers rejoice.
3. Those looking to celebrate on a global level should make the pilgrimage to Vienna during the Winter Festival. This truly mesmerizing event features musicians and artists from all around the world.
4. Austria is home to numerous folk festivals year-round. Here are some of the most popular:
- The Street Music Festival in Vienna (March)
- The Almabtriebe-Festival* (May)
- The Tyrolean Festival in Innsbruck (June)
- The Schlosshof Music Festival (July)
- The Annual Wine Festival in Vienna (August)
*”Almabtriebe-Festival” refers to the traditional Austrian festival celebrating cattle being driven down from the alpine pastures.
5. For those interested in sampling authentic Austrian cuisine, The Styrian Wine Festival is the place to go. Here guests can sample some of the renowned Austrian wines as they wander among the grapevines. In autumn, full-bodied red wines are particularly popular.
6. Whether it’s the shimmer of alpine beauty, the music festivals, folk celebrations, or the opportunity to enjoy the finest Austrian wines, the country is bursting with delights for all kinds of travelers. For a truly unforgettable experience, Austria’s alpine allure is hard to beat.
7. Shopping in Traditional and Modern Markets
Austria is home to numerous traditional and modern markets, filled with a variety of goods and offerings for the shopping enthusiast. There are small boutiques and big box stores, all of which provide a welcoming, relaxed atmosphere to explore.
- Take a stroll through the traditional farmers markets, which appear every morning and feature fresh produce, flowers, baked goods, and so on.
- Browse the many clothing shops, from boutique to designer, selling the latest fashion.
- Visit the modern shopping arcades, brimming with merchandise for every taste.
- Don’t forget the culinary delights that can be found in the traditional and modern markets. Enjoy farm-fresh produce, artisan cheeses, gourmet chocolates, and famous Austrian pastries.
Though the alpine landscape may be the main allure of Austria, the markets are sure to treat the shopper to a delightful experience and a memorable purchase. From tyrolean hats to delicate pastries, Austria’s markets offer something for every taste. And the best part? Going to the market just feels like being part of the culture. When in Austria, make sure to get your hands on some of the country’s classic souvenirs.
8. Exploring Unique and Unforgettable Rail and Road Trips
Whether you are an experienced hiker or an armchair tourist, Austria’s Alpine allure calls to all—and for good reason. Its breathtaking landscapes, charming villages, and thrilling adventures make it a truly unforgettable destination. Here is a look at some of the top rail and road trips available:
- Vienna to Venice: Take a scenic train ride from the capital of Austria to the romantic “City of Dreams.” Along the way, get an up-close look at rural villages, picturesque vineyards, and sweeping mountain ranges.
- Romantic Road: This popular self-drive route winds its way through some of Austria’s most beguiling cities and towns—from the rolling hills of the Styrian Mountains to the sunny shores of Salzburg in the Valley of the Salzach River.
- Tirolean Valley: Cross into the wild frontier of the Tyrol on a thrilling road trip. Make unforgettable stops at fairytale-like castles, ancient chapels, and other incredible sights along the way.
- Tauern Railway: Soak up the stunning scenery of Bavaria and Salzburg as you ride the historic, narrow-gauge Tauern Railway line. Along your journey, admire pristine Alpine lakes, blooming meadows, and glaciated peaks.
From urban exploration to a journey deep into the outdoors, these rail and road trips are the ideal way to experience Austria’s majestic beauty. Whether your desire is to relax or to explore, you’re sure to find your perfect escape.
Austria’s alpine allure captivates the imagination and inspires those seeking adventure, relaxation, or a combination of both. The incredible beauty of its snow-capped peaks, unique cultural quirks, delicious cuisine, and stunning landscape have left many under a spell that will be hard to forget. Whether you’re looking for the next adrenaline rush or a peaceful respite, adventure awaits you in Austria’s breathtaking mountain range.